Monday, October 26, 2009

Day 01 of Working-Land - The Rules

Alright, for the benefit of those people who have not experienced the working world yet, here's some rules for surviving Working-Land.

Rule #1:
Always arrive early for the 1st day of work... I arrived at 8:20am although work starts at 8:30am.

Rule #2:
Read the contract carefully. Check your name, i/c number, address. Check the notice to tender period, check the medical benefits, check all the other stuff. I checked, and double check.

Rule #3:
Orientate yourself to the new environment. I was introduced to all the staff on the 3rd level, 2nd level and the 1st floor receptionist. Most importantly, check where all the emergency exits are.

Rule #4:
Know how to use the photocopy machine. That's the most basic thing to do... Starting from the bottom of the corporate ladder... Well, the 3rd rung.. 1st two rungs are the cleaner and the coffee-boy.

Rule #5:
Reading the training material. Basically what I read for the rest of the day.

Rule #6:
Eat lunch with your department colleagues. That's what I did.

Rule #7:
Contribute your useful computer hardware knowledge to the department. Well, cos my other colleague needed to get a new computer for work, and he only had S$1000 budget. Hence, we visited hardwarezone.com and got prices for the new com. +Brownie points.

Rule #8:
Although a pre-employment medical check-up is free, bring more money for taxi fare. I only had S$10, and all of that was spent on the taxi fare to and from the medical centre. But check out Rule #9.

Rule #9:
Always take the receipt from the taxi driver. Just because you can claim transport allowance on certain occasions, such as mandatory medical screenings.

Rule #10:
Always leave work after your boss leaves. Well, my supervisor accompanied me through the medical screening. So I guess that qualifies.

And that's how you survive Day 01 of Working-Land. Stay tuned for Day 02 - Signs in the Office.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

LoL! Follow the rules to survive Working-Land... Don't get fooled by the girls, man! And if you find some Twinkies in the pantry, save them for me aiight? ;)