Monday, November 9, 2009

A dose of responsibility-pushing

Today, I had my first dose of responsibility-pushing. Responsibility that has been pushed unto me, that is.

Here's how it went.

I was in-charge of a certain Worksheet with money, and dimensions of buildings. This certain Worksheet originated from my supervisor on 3rd Nov 2009 (I keep track and date everything sent to me).

My supervisor was the person who created this Worksheet with all the numbers and measurement. I did not edit anything, as I was still oblivious to the work to be done. So I was then betrothed with the responsibility of the Worksheet on 6th Nov 2009. After having done all the necessary changes to the numbers (leaving the measurements untouched), I then submitted it for vetting.

Upon submission, a mistake was made known to me. Hence, I clarified with my supervisor who in-turn insisted that the mistake was on my part, claiming that I had put in the wrong measurements. Knowing that I was not in the wrong, I told him that it was himself who entered the initial measurements, and it had been untouched from Day 1 (3rd Nov 2009). He then told me that I should not make this kind of mistake, he told me that I had to do my own calculations to get the measurements.

So, being the new guy, I had let this incident pass by. I know I was not the one who wrote the wrong measurements initially.

I learnt that mistakes are to be made, and lessons are meant to be learnt.

This will NOT happen a second time. Period.

No comments: